Police Officer I Position AvailablePosted on March 20th, 2018
POLICE OFFICER I
Town Hall is located at 126 N. Pearl Street. You can reach town hall by phone at (843) 672-7292 or via email at email@example.com.
NATURE OF WORK
- Responsible general duty police work in the protection of life and property in the protection of life and
- property through the enforcement of laws and ordinances.
- Work involves responsibility for the prevention, detection, and investigation of crimes and for
- maintaining law and order.
- Patrols assigned areas, traffic regulation, accident and crime scene investigations, special assignments
- and other tasks associated with the Police Department’s or the Town’s business operations.
- Work involves an element of personal danger.
- Specific assignments are received from supervisors and are carried out in accordance with established
- rules and procedures; however, employees must exercise considerable judgment and skill in their
- application to specific situations.
- Work is reviewed through reports, inspections, and observation of results obtained.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
This list of essential functions is not exhaustive.
- Patrols designated areas of the Town to prevent and discover the commission of crime and to enforce traffic, criminal, and Town regulations.
- Answers calls and complaints taking necessary police action.
- Administers first aid.
- Serves warrants and civil process.
- Conducts investigations at the scenes of crime and serious accidents.
- Gathers evidence, locates witnesses, and makes arrests.
- Appears in court to present evidence and testify against persons accused of crimes.
- Receives and processes arrested persons; books, fingerprints and photographs prisoners and completes necessary arrest forms .
- Check for previous charges or outstanding warrants on prisoners.
- Escorts prisoners between jail and court.
- May perform desk office duties such as handling calls via radio, telephone and walk in customers.
- Assists citizens with special problems that they may have; rendering advise, suggestions, offering hands on help, while exhibiting courteous, professional , pleasant, and a caring demeanor.
- Prepares necessary records and reports.
- Performs all other duties as may be assigned to meet organizational needs.
- Interpret an extensive variety of abstract and concrete variables or technical instructions in mathematical or diagrammatic form.
- Ability to perform routine math operations such as add, subtract, multiply, and divide all units of measure, including fractions, decimals, ratios, percent and American monetary units.
- Ability to prepare and interpret charts and graphs.
- Ability to read and interpret newspapers, journals, codes, and ordinances and instructions in the use and maintenance of tools and equipment.
- Ability to write business letters, reports and forms with proper format, punctuation, spelling, and grammar, using all parts of speech.
- Ability to speak to individuals and groups with poise, voice control and confidence, using correct English.
- Ability to gather, collate, classify and compute information.
- Ability to report on or carry out a prescribed action in relation to the information.
- Ability to advise, counsel, and/or guide individuals with regard to issues that may be resolved by legal, scientific, or other professional principles.
- Ability to exchange ideas, information, and/or opinions with others to formulate policies and programs and /or arrive jointly at decisions, conclusions, or solutions.
- Ability to train others through explanation, demonstration and supervised practice.
- Ability to make recommendations based on technical expertise.
ESSENTIAL SAFETY FUNCTIONS
- Follows safety training and instructions.
- Complies with established policies, procedures, and safe work procedures.
- Properly wears and maintains personal protective equipment for their job.
- Immediately reports any unsafe work practices or unsafe conditions as well as on-the-job injuries or illnesses.